In a technologically advanced world, taking photos and capturing precious moments have been reduced to just one simple push of a button. People love to take pictures on a party, event, or just on an ordinary day. For this reason, it is not difficult to see why a photo booth business would be one of the best ideas to consider.
Photo booths are awesome when it comes to instantly take pictures. With a built-in printer, photos will not just remain in the digital space, but a tangible copy can be produced. More and more private entities and companies hire photo booth businesses to perk up their event.
In case you are wondering how to start a photo booth business, you came to the right place. In this post, let me share with you the step by step procedure of starting a photo booth business.
STEP 1: Buy the necessary tools
Before you can start your photo booth business, you need to have the right tools and equipment. Depending upon your budget, you can find different equipment that will determine the success or failure of your business. Therefore, you should take some time to consider the different choices. Here are some of the tools you need to consider.
a.) Photo booth Case – the photo booth case is very important since it protects your hardware inside. There are different models of photo booth cases. These models differ in portability, size, color, shape, and design. The first thing that people see is the case of your photo booth. So better find something that’s attractive and functional.
b.) DSLR Camera – an ideal camera for a photo booth is the Digital Single-Lens Reflex (DSLR) camera. Since it is digital, it can take unlimited shots depending upon the capacity of your memory card. Many of the modern DSLR cameras now are able to create crisp, vivid, and high-quality images. There are a lot of features that a DSLR camera can provide to improve your photo booth business.
c.) Microsoft Surface – your customers should be able to have a live preview of themselves while they pose for a picture. This is where Microsoft Surface comes in. The Microsoft Surface is a tablet with a bigger screen to accommodate live preview. Though it has many uses, the Microsoft Surface would be perfect for your photo booth business. Your customers could just use its touch screen area to manipulate their photos.
d.) Photo booth software – your photo booth will also need a software. Of course, you can simply do all things manually, but that will hurt your business. The more seamless and convenient the experience of your customers, the better for the growth of your trade.
Depending upon which software you use, you can do a lot of things. Examples would be adding filters, sharing images to social media websites, taking photo and video, customizing templates and screens, morphing faces, and more.
To give you a head-start in searching for the right photo booth software, you can consider these two:
- Darkroom – this software is among the most popular programs that you should have for your business. It is basically a photo-editing software that lets you customize images. It can also let you create unique templates and slideshows for your customers to enjoy.
- DSLRbooth – the best thing about this software is its user-friendliness. From installing to executing, the DSLRbooth is so easy to use that you don’t have to be a rocket scientist to utilize it. DSLRbooth also comes with a lot of different features that will boost your business.
d.) Photo templates – images on your photo booths would surely be exciting with templates. You can produce your own templates with the use of the software I mentioned above or you can simply download templates from the Internet. Variety is the key. The more templates you have, the better.
e.) Printer – your photo booth will not be complete with the right printer. You need to keep in mind the different factors that might affect your decision. Remember that printers are not built equally. Some are made with more features while others provide the basic functionalities. Here are some printers to consider.
- Mitsubishi CPD70DW – this has a fast printing speed and is ideal if you expect a high volume of customers. It can be used both outside and inside the photo booth.
- Sinfonia CS2 – the best thing about this printer is its size and weight. Though it can be considered to be the smallest and lightest, it does not compromise its performance. Because of its size advantage, you may consider this when you have a small photo booth.
- DNP DSRX1 – this is another small and lightweight printer weighing only about 30 pounds. It is not bulky and can easily be transported. It can print 700 4 x 6 prints on a single roll.
- HiTi 510L – the price of this printer is economical. As this might be the case, it can still produce vibrant prints. It has a unique and convenient way of printing photos.
- Mitsubishi CP-K60DW-s – though this is not the fastest printer, it still packs a decent speed. Mitsubishi designed and created this printer so you can be sure that it is made with quality in mind. It is made with a metal body and it can print 6 x 6 inch print, which is something other printers cannot do.
- DNP DS40 – this printer can be a little be more expensive than others but it is worth the investment. It has a very efficient performance that most photo booth owners love.
- Brava 21 – the unique feature of this printer is the ability to print quality photos on paper stickers. With this feature, it opens up to many marketing possibilities.
f.) Lightning – with the proper lighting, the captured images of your photo booth will be enhanced. There are different lighting equipment in the market today. I would suggest that you only get the essentials and upgrade later when the need arises.
g.) Props – to add more life and excitement to your photo booth, you need to have props. The more props that you have, the more your customers will enjoy. You better invest in different types of props. Ensure that you have props that will fit all possible occasions.
h.) Backdrops + backdrop stands – photos would be more uniformed and professional-looking with the right backdrop. You should have a default line of backdrops. Sometimes, the customers would suggest a backdrop for their event. So better be ready to meet the different needs of customers.
STEP 2: Test it out!
Now that you have the right tools and equipment, it is time to test your photo booth. Since you are still in the process of promoting your new business, you better do some free test run. You can invite friends and potential customers to try out your photo booth.
The images you obtain can also be used to build your portfolio. This is your chance to impress your friends and future customers.
STEP 3: Create a website
Use the power of the internet to promote your website. There are a lot of ways that a website can benefit your business. It can surely boost your professional image and will lure more potential customers.
In your website, you should add important details pertaining your business. You need to include portfolio, pricing, contact form, blogs, updates, and other important information.
STEP 4: Start promoting
In addition to your own website, you can also promote using other methods. You can use Craigslist and Kijiji to spread out the word about your newly-built business. These classified ad websites have already established an audience that you can surely tap into.
Add your business as well on Google maps, Yelp, YellowPages and other directory pages to increase your public visibility. Remember that the success of your business lies on marketing. So this will be a great investment of your money, effort, and time.
To further improve the usefulness of your website, you should regularly add content. The most popular way to do this is to add blogs. These blogs should also be search engine optimized to increase your page ranking and to help people easily find you. In creating a blog, remember to put your customers in mind. They will not read a blog that they don’t deem as useful.
Another way to promote your photo booth business is to print out flyers and distribute them in places where there are a lot of people. Flyers are not that expensive and it’s worth your time and effort. You will never know how your flyers eventually reach a real customer.
Business cards will also be helpful. Make sure that you have a business card that looks professional. It will not just let your customers know your contact information, but it will remind them of your business.
Finally, create social media accounts and let your friends and family know about your business. You can start promoting your business to those people whom you already know. There are a lot of people in social media websites and it presents a very huge market. So better utilize this avenue as well.
These are the steps that you can take to start your own business. Though this is just an overview, it gives you a basic knowledge of what to expect. Be sure you explore different options and make an informed decision. This way, you will be able to ensure the success of your photo booth business.