All of us have procrastinated at some time; however, some of us have made it a habit. Procrastination happens when people put off doing chores or things that need to be done now, for a later time. So why do people procrastinate and how can it be prevented? Here are some strategies to overcome procrastination.
1. Make a list of things that you need to do.
List down all the tasks that you need to accomplish for the whole week. It’s up to you if you want to make a daily, weekly, monthly, or yearly To-Do list. However, it’s best to keep it on a daily or a weekly basis so that the tasks can be achievable.
The idea is that your list can serve as a visual motivation for you because you can see that things are getting crossed off the list, meaning you’re accomplishing these things. Put this list in a very visible area so that you can see it and won’t forget about it.
2. Do a little every day.
In some cases, people procrastinate when they feel overwhelmed with a big task or too many tasks. When you make your To-Do list, number the chores that you have to accomplish so that you can break it down to achievable tasks.
And then, try to do one among them every day so that you won’t feel overwhelmed at the many things that you have to do for this day or week. This also applies to the one big task that you have to do. Just break it down and do a little of it every day. However, set a deadline for you to accomplish the whole thing.
3. Find the cause of delay.
If you’ve made the list but you still cannot get started on the job, perhaps there's a reason behind. Find out why you’re having such a hard time starting with your work. In most cases, individuals procrastinate because they hate what they are doing. Of course, it can be pretty hard to get psyched about something that you absolutely dislike doing.
Are your gadgets and other electronics distracting you from getting any work done? Is someone distracting you from working? Is it your environment that causes you to put off doing things?
4. Remove causes of procrastination.
After you have identified what is causing you to delay doing your task, you should find out how you can remove the cause of your procrastinating.
- Change how you feel about the cause. If you hate doing something, perhaps you can learn to love it? And if that is not possible, can you at least try to put it in a more favorable light so that you won’t feel burdened to do it?
- If you can’t get any work done because of your cell phone and computer games, you should remove all of these from your working area.
- In other cases, people such as family and friends can also distract you from accomplishing tasks. It’s best to speak to these people and make them understand that you need to finish these tasks today or this week. Hopefully, they will understand and stay out of your way.
- If you don’t have a great working space or if you don’t have the right tools for a job, then it can also be a cause for procrastination. Find a room where you can work best and make sure that have all you need to get the job done.
5. The Buddy System
Your friend, partner, or colleague can remind you of tasks that you have to do. In return, you can also so the same for them. Choose someone whom you’re very much comfortable with and ask this person to help you get your chores done by reminding you and gently pushing you to do it.
Procrastination is an unhealthy practice as it affects the performance of a person. It produces bad results and the quality of the work can suffer a lot. People who practice procrastination must not take this habit for granted as it can greatly affect their way of life especially if they get used to putting off work that can be accomplished sooner.